- shotgun formation: in football, an offensive formation in which the quarterback sets four or five yards behind the center with the other backfield men split out as flankers. It’s designed to send out as many pass receivers as possible while the QB has more time to throw the ball.
- shotgun wedding: the father of the pregnant bride forces the wedding with a shotgun.
- shotgun microphone: a highly directional microphone with a long barrel that is pointed at a distant source of sound.
- shotgun prescription: medical slang for a prescription containing a great number of drugs of various properties.
- ride shotgun: stagecoach guards rode shotgun—next to the driver. The term is a relatively modern addition indebted to movies and TV shows. It doesn’t seem to have been used in the heyday of coaches. Children with siblings will “call shotgun” when going for a car ride, meaning "I get to ride in the front passenger seat where the view is less restricted."