Green with Envy
- Blood was warm and moist. It promoted joy, optimism, and affection. This was the sanguine personality.
- Phlegm was cold and wet. It induced passivity, torpor, and sentimentality. This was the phlegmatic personality.
- Black bile was cold and dry. It made one brooding, melancholy, and withdrawn. This was the melancholic personality.
- Yellow bile was hot and dry. It provoked anger, ambition, envy, jealousy, and courage. This was the choleric personality.
- O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
It is the green-ey'd monster, which doth mock
The meat it feeds on. [Othello Act 3, scene 3]
- Be not her maid, since she is envious;
Her vestal livery is but sick and green,
And none but fools do wear it. [Romeo & Juliet Act 2, scene 2]
- They have dispatch'd with Pompey, he is
The other three are sealing. Octavia weeps
To part from Rome; Caesar is sad; and Lepidus,
Since Pompey's feast, as Menas says, is troubled
With the green sickness. [Antony & Cleopatra Act 3, scene 2]
Care to Vote?
The Top 100 Language Lovers 2013 competition hosted by the bab.la language portal and the Lexiophiles language blog is under way, and my blog WORDMALL has been nominated.
The voting period extends from May 22nd to June 9th, and I would appreciate your vote. Entries are arranged alphabetically.