Sunday, January 11, 2015

Gambol and Gimbal

Doug from Traverse City called in to ask about a word that he encountered in his reading. After he had hung up, I realized that I didn’t know precisely which word he intended. It was either gimballed or gambolled.

If it was gimballed, it means fitted with a gimbal. Gimbal has a few meanings:

·      connecting links in machinery;

·      a hinge;

·      a contrivance by means of which articles for use at sea (esp. the compass and the chronometer) are suspended so as to keep a horizontal position. It usually consists of a pair of rings moving on pivots in such a way as to have a free motion in two directions at right angles, so as to counteract the motion of the vessel.

If, instead, he said
gambolled, that is the past tense of the verb to gambol. A gambol (n.) is the energetic leap of a horse. It is also an outburst of energetic and playful activity—not necessarily involving a horse—or a general frolic or romp.

Listen to Mike’s program in real time every Tuesday morning, 9:10 - 10:00 a.m. EST, by going to and clicking on Listen Now. You’ll also find about a month’s worth of podcasts there under The Ron Jolly Show.


Post a Comment

<< Home

Dona Sheehan's prints